Friday, November 1, 2024

15. Great sand dunes ntl Park. Colorado Springs


I honestly can't remember the start to this day, as it was a few days ago now. I know we agreed to pass on visiting mesa Verde, as we had seen so many beautiful mesa and bytes and we thought the extra sleep in would be nice. Unfortunately, I realised too late that this is where the cliff dwellings were, one of the things I was most looking forward to. Oops. 

I did have a breakfast at the motel. It was a bit funny, wraps and boiled eggs in a fridge, a microwave, and a sign saying "don't explode the boiled eggs, cut them in half before microwaving". 

The landscape was stunning as we drove towards Colorado Springs. We also passed chimney rock today, which I got a kick out of. Our only planned side quest today was the Great Sand Dunes national Park. Kieran did the driving today, as I wasn't feeling great (probably the altitude!) so I got to take a lot of photos, which I enjoy.


We started seeing snowy mountains and actual snow today. The kids were enraptured. Kieran even pulled over and let them throw a couple snow balls, one from Nathan landing straight in the car. 


We drove and drove from snow to what looked like nowhere. We were doubting the wisdom of a Great Dunes visit, as the road there was long and uninteresting (although it was interesting for being so).


When we did enter the park, though, (using the America the beautiful pass) we were vet pleasantly surprised. The sand dunes are hard to comprehend where they are. They are huge but seem tiny in the shadow of the mountains. We had a lot of fun in the visitor centre then went to visit the dunes in person. 


The dunes were great (pun intended). I sent Nathan and Lexie running ahead then wandered after them. It was very windy and awesome to see the same shifting and footsteps being covered in real time. The kids enjoyed it, though Charlie didn't like it when the wind picked up and the sand hit his face, poor bub. It means he let me pick him up and cuddle him away from the wind, so a win for me. 


I wish we had longer here, but like sands themselves, we needed to keep moving. 

The last point of interest today was encountering our first bear-proof bins. I remember hearing that they have trouble creating these, as there is a lot of cross-over between the smartest bears and the dumbest humans. 


Rooms 113 & 115

No comments:

Post a Comment

28. Home

 11 November 2024