I somehow slept until after 1pm today. We had vauge plans for Kieran to go out to do some shopping while I stayed with the kids in the pool. We didn't have sunscreen so went together to the strip mall within walking distance from the hotel.
It's October which means everything is Halloween themed, including the mall. The big kids were both a little leery of them, but still wanted photos everywhere.
Lunch was nice, a standard kind of shopping centre food place. The drink came in a giant jar and both it and the coffee were free refills. America does the refill thing well. They also are good at having milk available as a standard menu item, unlike soda water, which has been difficult to find. Charlie had a milk with a straw, but I don't think he'd used a proper straw before. At first he had fun just pretending, but when he figured out he could get milk from it he was thrilled!
We decided to do an escape room after lunch and picked the bank heist. It was good fun and the kids enjoyed it. Charlie was able to have free reign, more or less, and the big kids were very enthusiastic about finding and figuring out clues.
We ended up escaping with a full 10 minutes up out collective sleeve. I liked that certain actions triggered an effect, for example placing the TNT on the vault activated a ticking and explosion sound with flashing lights before the vault door swung open.
We finished up the day with a visit to Walmart. Kieran picked up Halloween costumes for the kids (I got a witch's hat) and after I picked up a new sun hat and a cheap Disney shirt then Nathan and I went to sit and wait for Kieran to finish her version of a trip Disneyland. Walmart had so many fun things, I'd definitely end up a Walmart tragic if I lived here.
I ordered a Mr beast burger while we waited. These are burgers designed by a YouTuber who gives licence to certain venues to make and sell them. It's very unusual but a neat way to do it.
We had fun playing with the claw machine. A guy with a daughter let Nathan have a few goes and Nathan got his own toy. He was thrilled, it was adorable. Nathan said to me "American people are nice. Mum said they weren't". He later clarified that mum had said American people will shoot you.
On another note, Universal Studios emailed me in the morning to say they found my driver's licence. Given I lost the holder for about 5 minutes before I looked for it, I'm guessing someone swiped it, kept the bank card and holder and dumped the id. Lucky for me! I am very grateful that it's not floating out in the world. Universal has an amazing system for finding and returning lost items. I paid for fast shipping to the hotel, as we are here for 3 more nights.
No comments:
Post a Comment